Katherine Brooks of The Huffington Post presents some great coloring books for adults. And just for the record, I’ve been using coloring books for years. Outside the lines, of course.
Imagine you’re arguing with your uncle, again, over who knows more about the upcoming election. Or a fight breaks out between your brother and mother, again, because a certain child refuses to answer his parent’s phone calls. Instead of hammering home your views on Hillary’s campaign — or stepping in between a monumental yell fest betwixt mom and son — what if you just pulled out a coloring book and went to town? It sounds childish, but, so does your 35-year-old sibling right now.
For the adult set, coloring has been growing in popularity over the past year or so as a sort of coping mechanism, used to counter the pitfalls of busy, everyday life. Take the advice of psychologists — who recommend coloring as a stress-relieving technique and an alternative to mediation — and seek refuge this holiday season in a few black-and-white pages begging for adornment. Who knows, maybe you and Uncle Fred will find middle ground in your shared love of coloring inside the lines.
Check these out:
1. The Mindfulness Colouring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People. Who would like this? Your yogi uncle or meditation junkie best friend.
4. The Stoner’s Coloring Book: Coloring for High-Minded Adults. Who would like this? Just kidding, you know exactly who would like this.
6. Grace Miceli’s Feminist Art Coloring Book Who would like this? A die-hard Yoko Ono fan or anyone who appreciates the minimalist cartoons of Grace Miceli.
Who would like this? Your comedy-loving sister and her new significant other. Bonus: there is a beer goggles activity fun page!
9. Unicorns Are Jerks. Who would like this? Me, apparently, because my sister just gifted it to me and it’s awesome.
10. The Indie Rock Coloring Book.
Who would like this? Your boyfriend who can’t help but argue with his three brothers and just needs to focus on a Broken Social Scene maze instead.
Cool Mona Note: You KNOW a friend needs to see this so send it on.